Saturday, July 13, 2013

Parenting and Leadership - Fatherhood - About.com

Business MeetingThere seem to be a large number of parents who separate their lives into "boxes." ?One box for work, another for home, another for friends, and so forth. ?But the truth is that life is not a set of boxes, but rather one holistic experience into which all these various roles meld. ?Thus, when we talk about work-life balance, its not about equalizing the size or capacity of the various boxes, but about keeping every aspect of our lives into a dynamic equilibrium.

I read a blog post this week from Dana Theus about how parenthood helped her become an empowered leader. ?She comments:

I'd like to say that it was my worklife that taught me to be a good parent. After all, I was working for over a decade before I had kids. But looking back on it, I really wasn't all that great a manager or leader in my 20's and early 30's. Putting "work" before "life" meant I was still trying to figure it all out on the job. I wanted to be a "cool" leader that everyone looked up to, but I failed as often as I succeeded. I felt too competitive with my staff; I overworked myself and resented my staff when they didn't follow my lead.

Parenting was the force that made me grow up -- at work and at home. Here are the two key lessons in leadership I owe to my kids.

Dana talks about the lessons of tough love at home and how she used the same concept with an employee who felt she wasn't getting enough of her boss' attention. ?She also writes about the need to set boundaries with her teenagers and how that same practice has worked in her relationships with clients and staff. ?Then she concludes by thanking her husband and boys for making her a better and more competent leader in her career as well as in her family.

I recently read CDO - Chief Daddy Officer in which Chris Efessiou talks about bringing business skills into the family, and this blog suggests that there are skills that go the other way as well. ?It is just a good reminder that we are whole people as parents and in our careers. ?What we learn in one role can translate to the other if we are careful and thoughtful about how we blend all of these skills to be better at home, at work and in the other aspects of our lives.

More on Work-Life Balance

Image courtesy of?Digital Vision / Getty Images

Follow me on Twitter |?Join my LinkedIn Group |?Connect with me on Facebook |?Join me on Google+

?

?

Source: http://fatherhood.about.com/b/2013/07/12/parenting-and-leadership.htm

Topless Kate university of texas UT Austin Lizzie Velasquez NFL Network att libya

No comments:

Post a Comment